Thursday, March 1, 2012

The most expensive refrigerator in the world

Our beloved ice and water refrigerator was losing its life. The ice maker no longer dispensed ice. Water mysteriously puddled under the fruit drawer before flooding out into the kitchen. And it was rusting.

This was the frig that my then two year old emptied of ice one day. He took a small stool to the frig and pressed the ice dispenser button until no more ice came out. I van vouch for the fact that one ice dispenser contains enough ice when full to cover the entire kitchen floor.

This was the frig that could cool a bottle of wine in the shortest time in an 'i have had enough of motherhood and work' emergency.

But having been through a period of fiscal trauma, I thought it best to just repair it. That would be the cheapest option.

Cost of repair - $1800 ( and not really worth it I was told)
Cost of someone to tell me that - -$220

Right. I'd rather have a new refrigerator at that price. So off I go. But not before I carefully measured the space occupied by the refrigerator.

Sadly, as it turned out I could not get one to fit the space. They had all changed shape. All wider and taller. Or if not, too deep and would stick out from the wall too much. I searched every website and refrigerator and checked dimensions before even looking at price. Even those with a smaller capacity (which I can't imagine coping with) were talker than my space.

So plan B was put into effect.

Cost of small kitchen Renovation to make space for new refrigerator, including removing cupboards above frig, two panels and moving entire back wall of kitchen 5cm to the right, and tiling repair and painting - about $4000
Cost of new refrigerator - $2800 ( and a steal reduced from $3400)
Cost of discovering tap to bring water to the frig was about to blow and needed to be replaced - $280

Cost of my exhaustion in removing everything from kitchen cupboards and refrigerator and then putting it all back in - too high.

But isn't she beautiful:





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment