Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Just another Wacky Wired Wednesday

I hate Wednesdays. I hate Wednesdays because of Wednesday afternoons and after school sport which usually involves me driving for hours on end. But this particular Wednesday was The Worst Wednesday Ever because of that and what came before it.

Last week my Dear Old Dad (DOD) who is approaching 90 mentioned that he needed a new belt. So I offered to drive him to the shopping centre with the Old Man's Clothing Store on a day that I needed to go to the Medicare office. Which was today. Easy.

A couple of days ago my brother in law, Mr C, called to say that he had left a jacket and pants in the spare room wardrobe the last time he stayed, and could I please arrange to have them dry cleaned so that when he comes to stay again in two weeks he can wear them. No problem, as I added 'dry cleaning' to the useful task list that comes with the iOS 5 from Apple and stares at me in the face every day, never getting any shorter.

Then yesterday my sister, Mrs C, called to ask if by any chance I was going near Myer could I pop in and pick up some Clinique products to obtain 'free gift with purchase'. No problem, I would be nearby on Wednesday, as I added 'go to Myer' to my list.

Anyhow, Wednesday dawned and i planned my day. School drop off, gym, then jobs. So after a quick visit to the gym, and 120 squats amongst other things, I dropped the dry cleaning off, picked up DOD's dry cleaning which on enquiry had been there for a week, went to the post office to collect a parcel that I had ordered over the Internet for DOD, went home, showered, and collected DOD for the belt purchasing and medicare road trip.

On arrival at the shopping centre, it was 10.30 which is morning coffee time for pensioners. So a coffee, a cup of tea and fruit scone we had. The coffee shop was outside the front entrance of Myer and I could see the 'free gift with purchase' signs at the Clinique counter from where we sat. So I told DOD to stay where he was and went into Myer where I spent 10 minutes trying to find someone to take my money ( actually Mrs C's money). Unfortunately what she wanted did not come to the required coin spend to qualify for the free gift so I spent $35 on an eyeliner I did not need. So the 'free' gift with purchase cost me $35.

Next - belt time. We found a helpful man at the Old Man's Clothing Store and within minutes had a new belt. I could almost feel the $$$ in Medicare refunds in my pocket. Then DOD mentioned that he could do with some new underpants. So Target it was. Which sounds fine unless you are walking with someone who has had two hip replacements and walks with a cane. Underpants were found, then he needed socks. Purchases made off we strolled to MEDICARE. The original purpose of the my trip. Hurray.

At the door I selected Medicare refund and the lovely machine gave me the number A143. Just as I sat down in the crowded but comfortable waiting room, they called number A120 to counter 3. It was then I noticed that there were three women sitting at computers to serve the public. I think they are called public servants. I think there needs to be a few more servants for the public in the Medicare office. After 20 minutes we were up to A124. 'fuck this' I thought, and as DOD was fading fast, we left. Now I have to go back to the Medicare office at 9am one day. I'm not a very patient person. Waiting in line is not one of my strengths. Once I had dropped DOD home and collected his washing and ironing , I went home, had some lunch and tended to the filing, washing, and tidying the house ready for the cleaners to come tomorrow, as well as cooking dinner ready for reheating after sporting commitments.

Before I knew it, it was school pick up time for Harry. Then to leave home again at 4.15 in order to collect Billy from his cricket training after school 10km away. He is supposed to finish at 5 but i collect him early so i can get back to Harry's cricket training near home again which starts at 5. Harry's cricket goes to 6.30 and then has soccer training which starts at 6.30 in the next suburb and goes to 8pm (hate the cricket/soccer crossover). In between this I managed to find time to drop DOD's dinner down to him. So I am driving the car white knuckles on the steering wheel, for most of the afternoon from 3pm.

Now I am sitting collapsed in a heap on the couch unable to move except to raise my wine glass to my lips and check twitter.

My task list STILL has Medicare on it. Dammit.

AMFYOYO




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment