Sunday, March 25, 2012

Death in the suburbs

I love animals. I can't abide cruelty to them. I can't even bring myself to kill a gecko even though they are annoying little pests.

I have two cats and one dog who are much adored and live a fairly stress free life:





Two days ago we had a visit from three chooks. Which were very cute. The romantic in me quite likes the idea of keeping chooks but with two cats thought perhaps in the chooks' best interests this was a bad idea.









As it turns put, the two cats were not remotely interested in the chooks and at first ran away (slightly pathetic) before keeping a respectful distance and letting them get on with their scratching.

The cute factor wore off quickly with the large amounts of chook poo on the paths around the house. But other than that they were harmless and happy to scratch around. I have no idea where they lived and was happy to have them visit from time to time The dog remained blissfully unaware of their presence, our yard being fully fenced, and the chooks remaining outside said fence, and the dog, not blessed with a lot of brains, inside.

Until today.

I went out the gate and the dumb dog ran out with me. He spotted the chooks and took off. Poor black henny penny made the mistake of trying to squeeze through the fence from the other side:





And got stuck half way through with the dog's jaws firmly clasped on its arse feathers. I managed to drag the dog off, the chook shrieking, me shrieking even louder. Then the excitement started. Poor black henny penny took off up the driveway; the dog leapt out of my arms in hot pursuit and managed to trap this poor hapless creature AGAIN. Again with the shrieking chook, the shrieking woman and the barking dog.

I might add that I had been cooking and was running around like a headless chook myself dressed in my exercise gear and stepford wife apron, and the Australia post delivery guy from next door thought he had come across a complete madwoman:





I got the dog and managed to carry him inside the gate AND THE STUPIDEST, INJURED CHOOK IN THE WORLD RAN UP THE STONE STEPS AND CAME INSIDE THE GATE.


Anyhow it did not end well. The two red chooks scarpered. Black henny penny is deceased - this is what is left after I disposed of the body:






So I'm guessing we won't be getting chooks any time in the future.

AMFYOYO

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment