Tuesday, May 22, 2012

My life as a driving instructor

Today I lined up outside the Post Office waiting for it to open at 9am. I was excited. Today was the day I lodged my 17 year old son's driving log book with dozens of pages meticulously filled in, detailing his 100 hours of driving practice needed before he sits his exam next month.

This is the second of my children to have gone through this and the second time I have endured it. I have estimated that allowing for driving school lessons and The Lawyer supervising I have been in the passenger seat with a teenaged learner driver for about 140 loooong hours. That's 140 hours without my own brake pedal. Or steering wheel. Or alcohol.

I got my license after a few drives with my sister's boyfriend and a lucky break on the test.

When my eldest first started learning to drive I wanted to find the person who invented this 100 hours thing and beat them to a pulp. 100 hours (give or take a few) of being trapped inside a moving vehicle with little control, with a hormonal mostly hysterical teenager at the wheel. I mean, who could possibly think that was a good idea? Clearly not a parent I thought.

I am convinced of its virtue now that I am through with two confident sensible drivers but more importantly FOUR years before I have to do it again. Please don't change the rules guys and make it 150 hours before then.

So I have some tips for those about to embark on this 'journey' with their teenagers.

* the local cemetery is a good place to start. If it is a big one there will be a network of roads, T intersections, hills, even possibly a roundabout. And all the people there are already dead.

* practice not looking nervous even if you are shitting yourself with fear. Plaster a smile on your face

* do not gasp for breath every time another moving vehicle appears in your peripheral vision

* nail your left leg to the door if necessary to stop yourself shrinking away from the gutter when they drive very close to it.

* try not to push your right foot through the floor if you don't think they are braking fast enough

* do not try to 'win' the prize of being a better instructor than your spouse. If you win you lose because you will be the preferred supervisor

* don't hesitate to instruct them to pull over and take over the driving if they (and I mean she) doesn't listen and starts yelling at you

* every 10 minutes counts

So good luck. Especially if you have twins!!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. I hear your pain. I was the instructor for my two sons and their girlfriends. In NZ we don't have that 100 hours rule - I actually think it's a good rule to have as it means they are hopefully better drivers because of it. Enjoy your break before the next one comes along.

    ReplyDelete