Friday, June 1, 2012

Saturday mornings and the selfish mother

I vaguely remember the days before children when one could lie in bed til whenever. Vaguely. I can't remember the last time I had a sleep in. Given that my eldest is now 19 it is probably 19 years... Anyhow in Brisbane it has been raining for a couple of days. I am a bad mother. This always gives me hope that Saturday morning sport will be cancelled. The forecast for today was patchy rain. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. My under 12 soccer playing son had to be at upper woop woop at 9.15 for a 10am kick off. Seriously, at 12 they need 45 minutes of warm up? At 7.30 this morning it was raining, just a little. I waited in vain for the text from the team manager to tell me that soccer was cancelled. My phone text alert went off at 8am telling me that while some fields were closed, there had not been much rain overnight at upper woop woop so the game was still on. Bugger Does that make me a bad and selfish mother? On another note my son is goalkeeper. I don't know about him but being the goalie's mother is VERY stressful. The team the played against today ( please note they were not 'versing' that team) was actually a team of one with a few other boys whose main task seemed to be to make sure No 10 had possession of the ball at all times. No 10 was taller than me, very thin and agile, could sprint the length of the field like nothing I've ever seen, and scored 2 goals. The final score was 2-nil. Sucks to be goalie and the goalie's mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment