Monday, April 16, 2012

My dream kitchen bench

When we built our house I spent a great deal of time planning my kitchen. One of the things I wanted was a very long kitchen bench. And in my mind it was going look like this, devoid of anything on it unless I was cooking. My cabinet maker, who is also a personal friend, is a neat freak and he put a lot of effort into this kitchen:






In reality it looks like this:





Note the toaster still on the bench at midday. Behind it is the kettle. Immediately below the toaster is a very deep drawer, specifically built to house said toaster and kettle, off the bench when not being used. It was put there as it is opposite the refrigerator so at breakfast time everything is in the vicinity of where I need it. However as the kettle is used three times a day I can't be fagged putting it away. And the toaster? Well, it just has to be brought out the next morning anyway.

Next to the toaster is a rubbish bag I forgot to take to the bin. I have a bin drawer. But if I go out and forget to put the rubbish either in the garbage or on top of the bench the dog gets the bin drawer open and then I come home to this:




Back to my bench. Behind the spray and wipe optimistically on the bench on the off chance it is ever clear enough to use it, you might see a cane basket. This is where I keep the opened mail, school notices, diary and various other bits of paper. So this is where I find useful things like out of date power bills, the school photo order form that was due yesterday and, if lucky, a dividend statement telling me that had I notified the company of which I own a teeny tiny bit, of my tax file number and bank account details they would have paid me a dividend, and a bigger one on account of them withholding tax.

The little purple and yellow tea pot was purchased in Hong Kong 20 years ago and I use it EVERY DAY I am home. It holds exactly one large cup of tea, and has its own infuser. I prefer real tea to tea bags. Again, using it every day it seems silly to put it away.

Behind the sink and in the drainer are the dishes washed up the night before and to yet be put away.

Then there is my red oroton handbag, always on the bench ready for thieves to come in when I am not looking and take it. The police tell me this is the most common item stolen because thieves know women come home, put their bag on the bench and usually go to the bathroom. So thieves will follow us into our homes, take the bag and then drive off in our cars because our keys are either on the bench or in our bags.

At other times there will be grocery bags on the bench as well.

I am loathe to confess to this but the other end of my bench looks like this:




That is my dead dog on the wall. For those disgusted by cats, avert your eyes. Behind the ancient black and white cat are cat feeding bowls. We have to feed our two cats on the bench to stop the current dumb dog from eating their food. So I am limited to preparing food on one half of my very long bench and it is not this one. You will be pleased to know it IS wiped down and disinfected daily. Well, almost daily.

So I still dream of that perfect clear, clean bench. I think I could achieve it if I didn't have four other people and three animals in the house, so...

AMFYOYO

Location:My dream kitchen bench

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I can relate to this! We have to put the cat's bowls on the bench too as otherwise our English Staffy will demolish the lot.

    Living with a house full of blokes, I often despair over the continual dropping of crap everywhere. The only time the house stays clean is when I'm the only one in it!

    ReplyDelete