Saturday, February 23, 2013

Inventions that make my life easier

There are a number of expensive purchases in my home for which this cortisol overdosing mother will be eternally grateful as they have saved me time and energy. Although I'm still exhausted all the time so I would hate to think what I'd be like without them.

1. The Thermomix





Most people have heard of this marvellous invention that weighs, chops, cooks, stirs, etc. If it vibrated and didn't have the nasty sharp blades I'd take it to bed with me, I am so in love with it. Since I bought it I have used it every day that I have been home. If you've been cynical don't be. It's expensive but worth every cent. I've used it 5 times today alone. The best thing is that I don't burn stuff. No stirring of white sauce, for example which takes all of 7 minutes. Bless you Vorwerx

2. The Elna press





I dislike ironing. Let's be honest I hate it. To be fair I don't do it very often. Once when my daughter was very little I got the iron out and she asked 'is grandma coming over today?'. I bought this little gem a few years ago and it is a marvellous invention. Place item flat on small ironing bench, push lever down and 'magic' - the creases have gone. I have a wonderful lady who loves ironing and she loves my elnapress too. Those pesky t- shirts the boys wear - three movements and they're done.

3. The slow cooker





As much as I love my Thermomix, I do still love my slow cooker. It's big, which means that I can make double quantities of lots of luscious winter casseroles and curries to freeze for those shitful days where a frozen meal will save you from a nervous breakdown.

4. The Scanpan mother of all pots




I always say if you're going to cook 500g of mince into spaghetti bolognaise you may as well cook 4 kilos. And yes I do just that. This pot is big enough for the job. The secret is in the simmering - I basically quadruple all the ingredients and simmer for several hours. This makes at least 5 meals for my family. The kids still love spag bol, and sometimes I go to a bit of an effort and make it into lasagne. Remember- bechamel/cheese sauce in 7 minutes in the Thermomix


5. Chinese food containers and Tupperware




Because I cook so much food, and also cook evening meals for my Dear Old Dad, I use a lot of Chinese food containers and Tupperware. In fact, I sometimes order Chinese or Thai food just to get the nice deep ones. They don't last forever!

6. Extra freezer

I can't be fagged taking a photo of it but see item 5 as to why.

7. Last but not least, Foxtel



Even though the movie channels leave a lot to be desired, and I don't really have time to watch movies anyway, I love my Foxtel and IQ as I can record favourite programs and watch them later and fast forward through the advertisements. Although now that I think about it, I thought the point of 'pay TV' when it was originally invented was that we paid for the privilege of no advertisements. But I digress. The BEST thing about Foxtel is that there is always a program on somewhere that will make you feel better about your life no matter how shitful a day you're having. For example, Hoarders. Or 16 and pregnant. Whenever I get the urge to vacuum I think of Hoarders and do something else. Then there are the endless repeats of Friends (for laughs) and Law and Order:SVU ( because I love seeing rapists and child molesters get their come-uppance, plus, Eliot Stabler)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment